Thursday, May 20, 2010

Dinner and Shopping

I don't really mind making dinner. It isn't the "making" part that I have trouble with. I'm a pretty good cook and I have come up with some pretty tasty dinners just throwing together a bunch of stuff that seems like it would taste good together. The part I don't like is deciding. I seem to have a complete mental block when it comes to deciding what to make for dinner. I have been to the grocery store every day this week because I just get some overwhelmed with the idea of what to make for dinner. It's all I can do to decide what to have that night, let alone the next night.

Years ago, when I was younger and married to a man who was much easier to feed I would make an entire weeks menu, make my grocery list, shop on Saturday and be set for a week. Those days are LONG over!

Here's part of the problem...My husband doesn't really like carbs. I KNOW!? WHAT?? I could live on bread and pasta. So, he doesn't like rice, pasta, potatoes...everything good. He also doesn't like white meat chicken or turkey. My daughter has recently started on a health kick. She exercises every day and insists on eating whole grains, white meat, etc. So now what?? I seriously feel like buying a bag of wheat bagels, a bag of white bagels a jar of Skippy and a jar of Natural peanut butter and telling them to go for it. But alas...I must make healthy, nutritious meals that we can all sit down and enjoy together.

As I was writing this post my daughter text messaged me (I'm at work and she is at home) "Are you going to the store?" I answer "yes", she knows I am because she knows we have nothing for dinner at the house. She begs to go with me and says she will even wait outside for me so I don't have to get out of the car. Maybe she'll decide what to have for dinner. Probably not. Last night when I was in the store I text her and said "I can't make a decision about dinner!" and she text back "don't ask me!" Ahhh...harmony. I made spinach ravioli, salad and cauliflower. But in roughly 30 minutes I'm going to be standing in the grocery store again with the same dread.

No comments:

Post a Comment